Thursday, August 9, 2012

Two Appointments


I’m supposed to be doing Econ and Quant homework, so I guess this post falls into the category of procrastination!

The summer boot camp is starting to wind down. Tomorrow is the last day of instruction and finals are next week. I don’t know how Harvard did it, but I think they altered the space-time continuum. How can one month seem like forever, yet go by so quickly?  I’m going to have to find out how they did it…and patent it. That way I can become rich and repay my student loans.

Today, I had two important appointments. The first one was with a faculty member to analyze my course selection for the upcoming year. I liken the course catalog to a buffet where you can only choose 4 items on each trip, but some of the items on the buffet are generically labeled. For example, the label may say “glazed orange vegetable”.  I look at it and I think it might be carrots (which I detest) but the color’s a little off, so I consider it might sweet potatoes.  I load up my plate thinking I’m going to chow down on some glazed sweet potato and it’s actually butternut squash! It’s not that I don’t like butternut squash; it just wasn’t what I was expecting….and I can’t return it to the buffet! I’m stuck with it. The course catalog lists “The Art of Communication” But upon closer inspection, it is progressively difficult political speech writing and delivery, with a *filmed* mock TV interview concerning a crisis situation. In the interview we are expected deflect ad-hoc questions like Wonder Women deflects bullets with her magic bracelets i.e., with poise and professionalism expectant of a graduate of Harvard University.  Uh..OK??!

The second appointment was with Health Services.  The Lame Foot is still quite upset with me. I can’t get the swelling under control, it hurts to go up and down stairs and throbs like a toothache at night. I don’t have my car here with me, so I’m expected to walk most places. I’ve been here a month with 9 more walking intensive months to go, so I don’t see the situation getting better. Until I get in to see the orthopedist next week, I’m supposed to R.I.C.E it. Rest, Ice, Compression (in those ugly white compression stockings) and elevate.  It really puts a damper on the things, but I need take care of sooner than later.  I think there is a cortisone shot and some more physical therapy in my immediate future.

Just for the record, I haven’t been taken many pictures of my time here. I plan to get better about taking pictures and posting them…but until then, here’s a pic that was taken of me at the JFK Forum on the second day of class. We had 15 seconds to share something about ourselves that wasn’t a part of our resumes.


"My name is Michelle Hood, from Chicago USA, and I am a chocaholic."

No comments:

Post a Comment