Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tomorrow, Tomorrow….


Tomorrow will be my first day of university studies in over 15 years!  Truthfully, I’m a little numb about the occasion.  I’m too wise to think that I know it all, too experienced to think it will be easy, and too humble to think that I’ve gotten this far on my own.

I have always known that I wanted to go to grad school, but the timing was never right. With little pangs of envy, I watched as friends pursued law degrees, medical degrees, and doctoral degrees.  Some ladies get jealous when all their friends seem to be getting married, but not me! I was jealous because I desired an advanced degree and I had no idea how I was going to make it happen.

Several years ago, I read a book called The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  It wasn’t life-changing in the way of The Holy Bible, but I learned that I must follow my heart and to never let my dreams die.

“When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream.”
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Last week, I left my home state of Illinois to begin this new adventure.  It was difficult to leave behind everything that I know and love.  In preparation, I re-read The Alchemist.  In it, I was able to find another nugget of wisdom that spoke to me about the journey on which I am about to embark.

“When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.”
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

So far, the strong current and my dream have taken me to the front gates of Harvard University. My three hundred day journey starts…tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment