Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In the Beginning...


A journey of 300 days begins with the first day.

My first day at Harvard wasn’t so bad.  I didn’t know exactly what to expect, but it did meet some unconscious expectations…and exceeded others.

We arrived at 8:30AM to hear our pep talk, about how we all were chosen specifically to represent the Harvard name and that we deserve to be there.  It was all nice and feel good. I liked it, but then again who wouldn’t?!

After the pep talk there was a coffee break, outside, in the courtyard, where the temp was 90 degrees!  I don’t know about you, but it was too hot for me to enjoy some coffee.  It looked like I was in mid hot flash the *entire* coffee break. (If you’ve never had a hot flash, ask someone.  They will tell you that it’s not pretty!)

We went back inside for a short question and answer session.  Then BAM! They hit us with our placement tests.  First test up was the quantitative test.  Uh…I’m no slouch when it comes to math, but when I got to the derivatives and logarithms, I accepted the fact that I had reached my limit and turned in my exam.  We broke for lunch and then came back to the economics placement exam. 

After the second placement exam, a reception was held in the Forum.  Beer, wine and food!  Just the kind of sustenance I needed after a hard day of testing.  After the wine had loosened a few tongues, the real fun began!  I actually got hit on a couple of times.  I guess people get a little food and a little wine they think they’re at happy hour or something! Most of the people are very genuine, humble, salt of the earth type people. 

I am impressed at how Harvard could assemble such a diverse group of people and it work so well.  I’m not working on my second Masters Degree, nor do I speak multiple languages nor am I a judge or a diplomat.  I am Michelle from the south side of Chicago and I held my own and enjoy myself.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking your friends on this journey with you. Enjoy all Harvard has to offer and I mean all wink . You will do great and I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete