Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Baby, I'm a star!!!



A couple of weeks ago, there was an email solicitation by my negotiation instructor for Kennedy School students to participate in a taping that would be used on the Katie Couric show.  

It was a segment to promote the book “Lean In” by Sheryl Sandberg.  It was about how women negotiate and how they are perceived in the workplace.



As you can tell from the video, they picked my clip and the clip of another one of my midcareer classmates to be on the show.

How’s that for a Harvard moment?  I go to class one day and end up on national TV a couple of days later!

And just for the record, Lisa’s clip shows her as angry.  Originally, I was the one who was supposed to display anger but I refused to feed into the stereotype of an “angry Black woman” so Lisa did it.  Lisa is one of the sweetest people that I’ve had the pleasure to meet and it was a shock to see her act so angry. (And it was an act!)

I make a concerted effort not to feature other people or mention them by name in my blog in order to respect their privacy.  However, Lisa likes to fly below the radar.  She’s an amazing activist for women’s rights, especially for women who have endured sexual violence in the Congo and Somalia.


Check out her website and if you feel so inclined, please volunteer to participate or make a financial contribution.

Run for Congo Women
A Thousand Sisters
Lisa Shannon - Wikipedia

57 days until commencement

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I should have gotten your autograph! :) That was really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear your voice! You did great.
    Plus, there were great lessons in those examples!

    ReplyDelete