Friday, September 21, 2012

Ups and Downs



When I started this blog, I made the decision to write about all of the good times and the bad times so that at the end of the year I can see how much I’ve grown. Well, this is one of those not-so-fun posts.

I knew that I was making a tremendous sacrifice when I decided to be a part of the Class of 2013, but the emotional toll of it was evident this past week.

On Saturday evening, I got word that my friend had given birth to a baby boy.  Not even 12 hours later I found out that a lifelong friend’s mom lost her battle with cancer.

Another friend has decided to stop her chemotherapy treatments and let nature take its course as she’s physically and emotionally tired.  I had hopes of seeing her in November, but based upon the time table given to her by the doctors, that may be too late.  I really wish I could visit with her one more time, but I’m happy with my last memory of her.  We were in drinking wine around her dining table and catching up.  Her adorable red-haired identical twin granddaughters kept us company.  The chemotherapy was already taking its toll, but she was in good-spirits and the most gracious hostess.

I haven’t felt well this past week.  I thought it was a cold, but as I read what I’ve written above, I’m sure that stress and emotional fatigue had a large part in taking down my immune system.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate cancer?

1 comment:

  1. Michelle
    This was very moving
    Be strong
    Jonathan and Ariella

    ReplyDelete